I have recently discovered the wonders of coconut oil – and I keep learning more and more about it. The more I learn, the more a fan I become.
Coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified as a “superfood”.
So what is it exactly?
According to Wikipedia, coconut oil or copra oil is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of matured coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. It has various applications in food, medicine, and industry. Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive effects on health. This includes fat loss, better brain function and various other amazing benefits.
You may have already made the switch to coconut oil in the kitchen, but did you know you can also swap out some of your beauty products for the wonder oil?
This do-it-all ingredient can be used to moisturize skin and remove makeup, but that’s just the beginning. Here are some of the ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your routine and why we love it so much.
15 Reasons To Love Coconut Oil:
1. Hair care: Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrients for your hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair and gives your hair a shiny quality. It is an excellent conditioner and helps the re-growth process of damaged hair. It also provides the essential proteins required for nourishing and healing damaged hair.
2. Heart disease: It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in actively preventing various heart problems like high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. You can take two or three tablespoons daily or see No. 9 for ideas to incorporate coconut oil into your food.
3. Skin care: Coconut oil acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skin, including dry skin. It also delays the appearance of wrinkles and sagging of skin which normally accompany aging.
4. Weight loss: It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight. It is also easy to digest and helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and endocrine system. Further, it increases the body’s metabolic rate by removing stress on the pancreas, thereby burning more energy and helping you lose weight.
5. Immunity: It strengthens the immune system because it contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
6. Digestion: Coconut oil helps to improve the digestive system and thus prevents various stomach and digestion-related problems including Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
7. Candida: Coconut has been shown to prevent and even cure candida. It provides relief from the inflammation caused by candida, both externally and internally.
8. Cooking: It’s perfect for cooking as it has a high smoke point making it great for baking, stir-frys or as a dairy-free replacement to butter.
9. As a flavor enhancer: Coconut oil is known to add an extra kick of flavor when added to foods. It can also give you an extra kick of natural energy when added to your morning cup of joe. Add a tablespoon to your coffee or tea for a natural sweetener and creamer. Delicious and super healthy!
10. Natural eye-makeup remover: Coconut oil is great at removing mascara and eye makeup, yes, even the waterproof ones. As an added benefit, it helps moisturize the eyes and keep wrinkles at bay.
11. Simple body scrub: Mix with equal parts sugar for a smoothing body scrub. For a simple twist, add some ground coffee to the mix. Coffee scrubs are known to lighten and brighten the skin, and also temporarily minimize cellulite. Amen!
12. Skin health: Coconut oil helps soothe psoriasis or eczema. It’s antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties have been proven to help heal damaged, dry, and broken skin. Its healthy vitamins and nutrients (mainly vitamins K and E) also alleviate the itching that often results from damaged skin.
13. Breastfeeding: According to research, when a lactating woman adds foods rich in lauric acid to her diet, the amount of lauric acid available in her breast milk increases substantially to levels three times the original level and nearly double the amount of capric acid.
Nursing moms often take three to four tablespoons a day (and vitamin D) to increase milk supply and nutrients.
14. Cold fighter: Coconut oil has been used by many people in all parts of the world to alleviate symptoms of the common cold. Blend a tablespoon into hot tea to help speed recovery from a cold or the flu.
15. Relieve haemorrhoids: If used topically, coconut oil can relieve the pain of haemorrhoids. It also has saturated medium chain saturated oils that contains many nutrients which your body requires to prevent haemorrhoids in the first place while containing antiviral, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that helps treat this problem.
Not convinced? Here’s a great piece on 101 benefits of using coconut oil!
And just for fun, here’s a hilarious video poking fun at the coconut oil craze.
Love coconut oil as much as we do? Share your favorite use of it below!