Some people collect things, I collect quotes.
You see my favorites posted daily on Authentic Woman’s Facebook and Instagram pages as Power Words, and you’ve also read some collections on I’ve posted on Rumi, Wayne Dyer, and even from the British film, Hector And The Search For Happiness.
I have to say, I love writing these pieces.
On those writing days, I sit back, get a good drink ready, settle in all nice and cosy, and get ready for a deep experience. I look at all my favorites — I walk down memory lane, I reflect on big lessons from my life; some melt my soul, some elevate magic in my core.
I pick my favorites, and I put them down here, to share with you.
Writing these types of articles in particular, is a whole spiritual experience in itself. And I look forward to penning each one.
I have so many favorites quotes from philosophers, teachers, books and movies — know I’ll keep those coming (follow our social media pages for daily shares).
For now, I want to share another oldie but goodie.
It’s from the Tao Te Ching. It’s a classic Chinese text which dates back to 6th century BC, written by the sage Laozi, or Lao Tzu, a record-keeper at the Zhou dynasty court.
The Tao Te Ching can be translated to mean “The Classic Of The Virtuous Way”, and is a fundamental text for both philosophical and religious Taoism, and strongly influenced other schools such as Legalism, Confucianism, and Chinese Buddhism.
It is among the most translated works in world literature.
I love the quotes and passages by Lao Tzu, or the Tao Te Ching.
As I get older and attain various life lessons, they really resonate with me. I find them so deep and true. Philosophy intertwined with spirituality. A way of life. A knowing and an accepting… to just be.
Sometimes, I have yet to learn the life lesson per se, but the quote or passage teaches me something new, and from then on, I have a new angle to think about and consider for an alternate perspective on things.
Below are just some of my favorites which I’d love to share with you. I hope these bring value and inspire you as much as they have me, and most importantly, bring you some inner peace for any of your doubts and worries.
1. Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.
2. Love is a decision. Not an emotion.
3. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.
4. The best fighter is never angry.
5. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
6. A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.
7. Time is a created thing. To say “I don’t have time,” is like saying, “I don’t want to”.
8. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
9. Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.
10. We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want.
11. Who acts in stillness finds stillness in his life.
12. When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
13. Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
14. Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. Patient with both friends and enemies,you accord with the way things are. Compassionate toward yourself, you reconcile all beings in the world.
15. A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
16. At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.
17. Act without expectation.
18. The more you know the less you understand.
19. When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.
20. Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.
21. When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready… The teacher will Disappear.
22. Silence is a source of Great Strength.
23. Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
24. Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
25. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
26. The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced.
27. The hard and mighty lie beneath the ground. While the tender and weak dance on the breeze above.
28. New Beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.
29. If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never be truly fulfilled.
30. The heart that gives, gathers.
31. To lead people, walk behind them.
32. He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.
33. If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.
34. Stop thinking, and end your problems.
35. Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment
36. Peace is our original state.
37. What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.
38. Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
39. A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.
40. If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself. If you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.
41. Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.
42. In dwelling, be close to the land. In meditation, go deep in the heart. In dealing with others, be gentle and kind. In speech, be true. In ruling, be just. In business, be competent. In action, watch the timing.
43. To attain knowledge, add things everyday. To attain wisdom, remove things every day.
44. By letting go it all gets done.
45. Stop leaving and you will arrive. Stop searching and you will see. Stop running away and you will be found.
Do you like any of these quotes? Share your favorites with us below!