Don’t you love a good lemon cake?
I do. Especially on a hot day. And since it had been hot lately, it was the perfect time for a tangy (yet mix of salt and sweet) treat.
I found a great recipe on Pinterest and opted for a lemon cake with frosting – gluten free of course!
The cake was relatively easy and quick to make and oh-so-yummy! The next time I make it I’m going to cut the salt to play with sweetness instead. Looking forward to seeing how that tastes.
This version is delicious with tea, coffee and even some champagne (yes, I tried).
What you’ll need:
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) white rice flour
3/4 cup (6 ounces) granulated brown sugar
1/4 cup (1 ounce) tapioca starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest from 2 to 3 lemons
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
What you’ll need to do:
1. First you will make the batter for the cake.
2. Pre-heat over to 350°F (175°C). If you’re using a tray make sure you grease your tray, or if you’re using a silicon tray you can leave it.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, brown sugar, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt.
4. In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and lemon zest. Pour buttermilk mixture over dry ingredients and mix.
5. Whisk in eggs and oil until smooth.
6. Pour batter into pan and bake for about 30 minutes. Test with a cake tester or toothpick and make sure the stick comes out clean to confirm the cake is ready.
7. When cake is done, let to completely cool. Then add icing and wait 15 minutes before serving.
8. To make the icing, add the lemon juice to the sifted icing sugar and mix with a fork. Icing should come out thick and spreadable. If too thick, add more lemon juice.
That’s it – super easy!
Have you got a great lemon cake recipe or tried this and have some suggestions to make? Do share!